Manor House is a historical landmark located in Ohio. The estate was built in 1789 during Ohio’s expansion as part of the Northwest Territory.
A colonist named John Manor built the house with a team of hired hands before making it his residence. Legend has it they built Manor House on sacred ground where the indigenous people had buried their dead. But no proof has been found to support this theory. In 1801, a maid found John Manor in the house’s east wing, hanging from a noose in what was declared a suicide.
After Manor’s suicide, his brother Eugene took over the estate in 1802. Notorious for being a depraved and immoral man of the times, Eugene Manor held infamous private parties at the estate. Parties were rumored to involve acts of sadomasochism and other sexual taboos too vulgar to describe here. There were even rumors of witchcraft at the estate. Some claimed Eugene Manor to be a warlock himself. While there was no proof to support this idea, the legend of Manor House grew nevertheless. Some time between 1838 and 1844, Eugene Manor vanished without any proclamation and was never seen…or heard from...again.
The estate remained abandoned for years until the Civil War (1861-1865) when the Union army turned the grounds into a camp. Here, they trained soldiers and nursed the wounded. Due to the many lives lost during this time, a graveyard was built near the estate for proper burials. They also held prisoners of war in the cellar basement of the estate. Some Union soldiers were suspected of treason and held as prisoners as well. It is claimed that these prisoners were tortured for the pleasure of their sadistic tormentor by the name of Wilhelm Barnes. Barnes was said to have been a model soldier until the war broke him mentally. He was accused of torturing and killing many prisoners during this time. After the war, Barnes was found dead in the cellar basement. His jugular had been cut with a broken piece of pottery.
Manor House was abandoned yet again after the war except for the graveyard which was maintained for memorial purposes. Reports of ghosts and lurking spirits were rampant during this time.
In 1903, the site was maintained by a non-profit group made up of the Manor lineage: the Manor House Preservation Society.
Today, Rock Manor is the President of the Board of Directors for the Manor House Preservation Society. A voice actor by trade, he is responsible for Manor House's transformation into a historic house museum and country estate.
Due to its nefarious past, Manor House has become a haunted attraction. The museum contains macabre objects fron the estate's history. The Spanish Donkey torture device, used on prisoners during the Civil War, is on display. There is a wax museum with figures depicting former inhabitants such as John and Eugene Manor.
The Manor House museum also contains macabre objects from all over the world. Some of these include one of the original “Old Sparky” electric chairs, a hanging post used during the Salem Witch trials, one of Ed Gein’s bowls made out of a human skull, an urn containing what is claimed to be Grigori Rasputin’s ashes, a blade used in a guillotine during the French Revolution, and many others.
Click here to see the Macabre Collection.
In 2003, Manor House added a haunted house attraction during the Halloween season.
Manor House is open Wednesday through Sunday but closed December through March. Admission fees vary. Children and senior citizens are free.
There’s a whole lot more to Manor House. Check it out at:
More promotions coming soon!