Monday, February 23, 2015

Women in Horror: Featuring Jennifer Nicole Stang



As you may know, February is "Women in Horror" month. To celebrate, PromoteHorror.com asked women from different professions if they would like to answer some questions about being a "Woman in Horror." One of the women, who were kind enough to answer our questions, was the magnificent director Jennifer Nicole Stang. Lets see what she said about being a “Woman in Horror”…


-When did you first become a horror fan?

I first became a horror fan when I was about 6 years old. My parents were careful about what I watched, so I never saw R-rated films at that age. I saw the "Child’s Play" movies at a friend’s house, and since those films were something I wasn’t allowed to see, they were all the more enticing. My mum introduced me to Hitchcock some years later, and his films really captured my imagination. I was hooked.

-Was there a specific moment when you realized that you wanted to go from being a fan of horror to a woman who contributes to the genre, or did it just kind of happen naturally?

For me it really happened naturally. I started working in films as an actress, and more and more I realized I preferred working behind the camera, coming up with stories and directing projects. Around Halloween time is when I am most inspired to dive into the realm of horror, so in October 2012 I came up with a story and shot my first horror short, The Devil’s Snare, inspired by the writings of Edgar Allan Poe, (of whom I'm a huge fan.) My film was selected to various festivals, and nominated in several categories, which was really exciting. Festivals always encourage a filmmaker’s work, and they’re a wonderful platform to share your ideas with others. 

- What does having a "Women in Horror" month mean to you?

I had no idea there WAS a "Women in Horror” month till recently. I think it’s a great idea, as the horror genre has always predominantly been a category dominated by men.



-Is there a woman in horror who you consider a role model?

I don’t really pay attention to whether or not a director is male or female. I focus on a film’s story, and how it’s told. However, there have been many women who have created great horror films, like Mary Harron (American Psycho) and Mary Lambert (Pet Sematary). 

-How do you think the role of women in horror has changed over the years?

Honestly, I was never really aware that women directed horror films until I started to dig in myself. I think it has been really interesting over the years to see women’s horror films receive acknowledgment, and to experience a woman’s perspective in the horror genre. There seems to be a sudden wave of women directors recently who have been featured in various articles. In the past there was more of a focus on the “Scream Queens”.

-What do you think the future holds for women in horror?

I think the opportunities for women are blooming because of so much acknowledgment from many actresses in Hollywood supporting women in film in general. I think it is an exciting time seeing rising directors who are women sharing their own unique perspectives and ideas.

-Being that this is PromoteHorror.com, please feel free to plug your current/next horror project

My upcoming feature, Blackwood Falls, is currently in pre-production. I am really excited about this idea and to see where this story takes me. I would love for you to follow our journey as we make this movie. Fans are what make a movie matter, and these days with crowdfunding, fans are the ones that actually get a movie made! We would LOVE your support. You can follow us on Twitter: @BlackwoodFalls and Facebook: Facebook.com/BlackwoodFalls



Jennifer Nicole Stang was born on April 16, 1985 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. She has lived in England, Canada, the U.S., and Spain. Jennifer has directed award-winning music videos and short films. Her short film, El Lago (The Lake) received various awards, including Best Fantasy Film at the Mexico International Film Festival, and 1st place at the Honolulu Film Awards. Jennifer also directed Les Nuages (The Clouds) starring Livvy Stubenrauch (young Anna from Disney's Oscar-winning film, Frozen). In addition, Jennifer produced the web series, Englishman in L.A., starring Ashley Fink (Glee), Eddie Jemison (Ocean's 11, 12, 13) and Cameron Moir (Non-Stop). The series received rave reviews from In Touch Magazine, and Broadway World, and won a number of awards at the LA Web Series Festival.

Jennifer grew up involved in the performing arts, studying with The Royal Conservatory of Music, The National Ballet School, The Royal Academy of Dance (Toronto, Ont.), and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts (NYC, LA). Jennifer danced professionally with Opus 1 Contemporary Dance Company and Pasion Y Arte Flamenco Dance Company (Philadelphia, PA), and also worked as a singer-songwriter for many years, producing various CDs, DVDs, and music videos of her original music, and performing in the Tri-State area. As an actress, Jennifer has performed in film, television, and theatre, including South Coast Repertory's A Midsummer Night's Dream, directed by Mark Rucker. (bio from IMDB)

For more information about Jennifer, please visit:


You can also find more on Twitter, and Facebook!

We thank Jennifer Nicole Stang for taking the time to answer our questions, but more importantly for her contribution to horror!

2 comments:

  1. great article. long over due for a brilliant director.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her work, a true master of film making.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...