Thursday, February 26, 2015

Women in Horror: Featuring Nadine L'Esperance



As you may know, February is "Women in Horror" month. To celebrate, PromoteHorror.com asked women from different professions if they would like to answer some questions about being a "Woman in Horror." One of the women, who were kind enough to answer our questions, was the awesome writer/director Nadine L'Esperance. Lets see what she said about being a “Woman in Horror”…


-When did you first become a horror fan?

I became a horror fan at the age of 7 when my Uncle snuck me into the theatre to see Creepshow. I was shocked that there were such cool movies out there and I was hooked right away.

 -Was there a specific moment when you realized that you wanted to go from being a fan of horror to a woman who contributes to the genre, or did it just kind of happen naturally?

It really happened naturally when I wrote a script for a local zombie movie contest and realized this is what I love doing. Making films from your own ideas and doing it all by yourself is a very invigorating feeling. I'm learning as I go and I know I'm far from knowing it all. I love filmmaking.



-What does having a "Women in Horror" month mean to you?

In a film world dominated by men I see it to be important to realize how many talented women filmmakers there are out there. I think so many people don't realize that women can bring on the gore, guts and blood just as well, sometimes even better than men. So showcasing women who cross boundaries and make some noise should be recognized and open peoples eyes to these awesome ladies who kick ass.

-Is there a woman in horror who you consider a role model?

I am highly inspired by the Soska Twins since they live in my home city. I went to Dead Hooker in A Trunk premiere in Vancouver and the after party. They both are extremely hard working and super friendly. I love them they're great.



-How do you think the role of women in horror has changed over the years?

I think with all the hard work that Founder for Women in Horror Month Hannah Neurotica she has put a huge spotlight and movement onto this subject. So I have noticed a change that these women are getting the attention they deserve.

-What do you think the future holds for women in horror?

Women WILL be the future of horror. Fuck yeah!



-Being that this is PromoteHorror.com, please feel free to plug your current/next horror project.

Today I finished editing the film Granny Fuckers I was working on with Trevor Hagen aka SPUD from the Dayglo Abortions. We concocted this hilarious, gross idea while on BC Ferries on our way from docking to the bus stop.. So literally a 10 minute discussion turned to a hilarious trashy film. While it is a big switch over from my usual Blue Girl Production stuff doing comedy trash was a total blast. As usual I used people I know. Deb Graf, who did the award winning make-up for No Pets Allowed, did the SPFX as well as acted as Granny Fucker #3.Gerrid Jonathon, her partner in crime, played Granny Fucker #2 and helped around on set. He also played the alley victim in No Pets Allowed. Aaron Foster, bassist from Legion of Goons, played Granny Fucker #1. His band is popular in the local punk scene here in Vancouver. I seem to always use musicians for actors..HAHA! And the co-creator of Granny Fuckers SPUD from the Dayglo Abortions, who plays Granny herself!! He's so fucking funny and makes the ugliest Granny ever. These are the stars but I certainly can't forget to credit the awesome Samantha Mack who plays the ditsy news reporter at the end. She's so hilarious and fun! I must say I know the coolest most bad ass talented people. I'm stoked they are in my life. You guys ROCK!! THANK YOU! (from her site)


Thank you for this cool piece. I enjoyed it!!
Remember..Granny Fuckers...Some things can't be unseen...



Nadine L'Esperance runs Blue Girl Productions, a DIY No-budget B-movie horror film company. It currently has 4 short films under this name, Maya's Journal, Madame Soleil's Tea Party and The Unknown Alter Ego and No Pets Allowed. (from her site)

For more information about Nadine, please visit:


You can also find more on Twitter, and Facebook!

We thank Nadine L'Esperance for taking the time to answer our questions, but more importantly for her contribution to horror!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...