Monday, February 16, 2015

The Thrill of Writing Murder By Ian David Noakes



I resorted to writing murder in order to quench my insatiable hunger for killing people in real life. However, my son has told me that I shouldn’t admit that online just in case it blows up in my face ten years down the line when I’m being implicated in a series of brutal murders. So, in order to ensure this doesn’t happen, I will make something up J

Where do I find the thrill in writing murder? I will answer this question with one word, and then I will go into a little more detail afterwards. The word is: CHALLENGE.

I love a challenge, and this type of story will always pose a number of them throughout the writing journey¾and not the actual tapping of the keys and bringing something up on screen that reads well.

I’ve resisted the temptation to tell you how much I love balancing an exciting chase to catch a frightening killer. The graphic murder sequences, gruesome crime scenes, and the opportunity to create clever twist-and-turn moments that will make the reader believe one thing, only to surprise them and give them something else they never expected.

You are also writing about people who are at very dark time of their life (family of victims), or people who are around them at this very dark time of their life (investigators). Tension and conflict swirl around, but in the back of your mind you wonder if they’re going to be killed next, or will they be the ones doing the killing?? This is all ‘hairs standing up on the back of your neck’ material.

Yes, I LOVE that part of writing murder, and it is a thrill after you have written the book and (hopefully) it all falls into place when your readers post their positive reviews and feedback.

However, I thought I’d tell you another ‘thrill’ I get out of writing murder, and it starts early on in the process, once you have the bare bones of the story floating around.

When you write murder, you have a lot of viewpoints that you can tackle your story from, and that challenge alone is a great responsibility (to yourself, too) in order to tell the best murder story you can.

This choice of approach (character viewpoint) will impact the type of murder story you end up telling, and it can throw your story in a multitude of unexpected directions. This has happened to me in the past, and it has transformed my story in a big way. I would also like to add that this isn’t limited to a murder story, but the change is far more dramatic.

Okay, here we go:

You will need at least one murderer, at least one victim, a nice mix of suspects, and at least one person trying to find the murderer (usually the police, but this can also be vigilantes, friends or family).

Each victim will usually have a family or friend(s) that will be affected. So, when you’re writing the murder story, you have a number ofviewpoints that you can explore and integrate into your story. You have the power to utilise as many of these viewpoints as you wish, but this in itself can be a challenge¾one that I find very exciting and very frustrating in equal measure.

Let me refer to my debut novel, Hourglass Heights: a supernatural murder-mystery about a troubled detective investigating a string of brutal, unexplainable murders at an apartment building. I told my story through the point of view of the detective. I gave Marcia her own set of problems and issues to overcome, along with a brutal murder case. I ended up with an erotic, supernatural murder-mystery.

If I’d chosen to tell my story through the eyes of one of the residents instead, then it would have still been a murder story (same murder event), but it would have been closer to a drama.

My resident (let’s go with Daniel – the witness who heard ‘something’) wouldn’t have been involved in the investigation, so he wouldn’t have been privy to most of the facts that shaped Marcia Tanaka’s story. He wouldn’t have been involved in the investigation OR the eventual capture or demise (I’m not going to give it away!) of the killer, so we would have to cross out the words supernatural, erotic and murder-mystery from the genre description. Daniel would also have been ruled out as a suspect. In fact, we would have been left with no suspects, only Daniel’s suspicions, which wouldn’t have been based on facts found through the investigation.

Daniel wouldn’t have known who (or what) killed the people in the building, so there would be no chase or capture in any way. He wouldn’t have been aware of all the backstory behind the owners of the building, and we wouldn’t have met Travis Knight – who played a big part in the second half of the story - a character that most of my readers have loved to hate. We would certainly meet a number of new characters as a result too, which could have created other directions and events in the story.

I mentioned earlier that all murder stories need a murderer, victim, suspect etc.., but I’ve ruled ‘the murderer’ out of Daniel’s version of Hourglass Heights. Well, yes and no. There would still be a murderer, butwe would never see him or her. We would just witness (through Daniel) all the residual damage of his murders.

With Daniel at the helm, I would say it would be more drama than thriller (unless he started to investigate the murders himself – hmmm!!). Options. Exciting. And a challenge to explore the possibilities of a man like Daniel taking it upon himself to investigate.

Ian David Noakes
Author/Screenwriter (Hourglass Heights)

Article by Ian David Noakes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...