Friday, November 9, 2012

The Shadow of Death



Set in an English woodland countryside, Debra and her best friends Jamie and Nancy pick up Dan, Nancey's ex, to go out to the woods to score some weed. Unknown to them a killer who resembles death is cleansing the countryside. With a wannabe policeman and an assortment of the public out for some fresh air, the woods are no place to go down today. In the vein of The Evil Dead and Bad Taste, The Shadow of Death is a 81 minute Horror comedy throw back to the 70s and 80s backwoods slasher genre picture, keeping in vein with those films but incorporating new styles and ideas to the medium.


Stars: Dan Carter Hope, Sophia Disgrace, Corinna Jane, Jane West, and Dan Bone


Written and directed by: Gav Chuckie Steel 


BEHIND THE STORY...

I have been watching horror films since I was a child and have always wanted to be part of creating films, that as a true fan of the genre, I would enjoy watching. I always loved FX and thought I would get in to that side of film making but as I grew older I started writing music and DJ'ing hip hop and using horror films as inspiration for my new found musical passion. I then decided to write scores for horror films and ended up writing my own film instead!  What started out as a 26 page script with a few friends and a camcorder at the odd weekend turned into a much larger scale project, More people came on board. I still shot with a camcorder (Panasonic sd60) but this was now an HD camera. I wrote, shot, directed, edited and scored the film myself, but of course I had a small very dedicated cast and crew with me to do all the other roles. My friend Mark Kelly came on to do (in camera, no CGI) FX and funnily enough he started working on making zombies for Brat Pitt's new film World War Z through the week and then was spending weekends working with us, he learnt a massive amount from all of this and I think the FX stand out in the film.

There were a few challenges, I had no budget (the whole film was made for less than an a holiday), no time (I have a full time night job and look after my two kids in the day times) and no film school knowledge ( although I do know horror!). I'm really proud of 'Shadow' and hope it inspires other people to get an HD camcorder pick it up and make a movie, I edited and scored it all at home when I had a chance (mainly given up sleep) and with today's resources and technology anybody can create what ever they want....


This film is very personal to my Crew, Cast and I and we are very pleased to let it out in to the world and we hope we can go on to work with other projects. We have a zombie comedy scripted and three other horror comedies being written at the moment and would love to be able to carry on making films as Deadbolt Films.

More from Gav Chuckie Steel...


For more information, please visit:



You can also find more on Twitter, and Facebook, as it makes its way to film festivals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...