Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Writing Horror to Music


Writing Horror to Music:
The Sounds of MILK-BLOOD

Music has played a huge role in the evolution of horror. Soundtracks make watching a movie such as Halloween or Phantasm a full body experience.  Darkness has a tone all its own.

But the sounds of darkness are present in fiction as well. The music is there as you read, and it is there while I write. For each book I have written, I have used a soundtrack to capture the tone of the novel. My last novel, On the Lips of Children, takes place on the Tijuana/San Diego border, and was written to the music of The White Stripes.

I don’t pay much attention to the lyrics white writing to music, but the tone seeps into my head. The beat of the song matches the beat of my sentence. The music becomes the backdrop the characters live within. It paints the walls of their home, the color of their sunsets, and fills the water that they drink.

My recent release, MILK-BLOOD, was written to the song In A Gadda Da Vida. When I sat down for a long stretch of writing, I stuck a pair of Dr. Dre Power Beats over my ears and kept the hypnotizing song on repeat, listening again and again and again.

I wanted In A Gadda Da Vida to rise up from the cement cracks on the character’s street. I wanted it to be heard through the broken window panes of the abandoned homes where they live. Eventually, I made sure to inject the beat straight into their veins.

When you read MILK-BLOOD, you may hear the beat of a different drummer, but if you listen closely, you’ll also hear In A Gadda Da Vida in the background. I hope you enjoy it. It just may sound unlike anything you’ve ever read in a long time.


"An incredibly powerful story and one of the most original horror novels I have read in years. Guaranteed to have you on the edge of your seat" 
~The Horror Bookshelf Blog 

"What a dark, twisted and bizarre book this was. One of the most striking urban horror stories I have read in a long time"
~Adam Light, author of Gone

Article written by: Mark Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...